It's all a matter of perspective.

Tuesday, July 15, 2003

I am back home and I have not slept in about thirty-eight hours. Tomorrow it is back to the old grind. I have taken extensive notes on the last few days of my trip, but have not yet had the time to write them up for the blog. Hopefully I will have the time and energy to do that in the next few days.

Also I have taken many more pictures, many of them Beautiful Alaskan Vistas. Hopefully I will soon have them posted at the Alaska Picture site located here.

Time for a correction:
Normally the comments that I get from my borderline-genius father-in-law are pithy observations or grammar corrections. But I knew when he chided me about my misuse of the term “Eskimo” that he had a point. Then I received an email of correction from the gorgeous and hospitable Carrie McMillan with the Cook Inlet Tribal Council and I knew I had to correct my lazy mistake.

You see, “Eskimo” is a highly inaccurate and perhaps offensive way to describe the native peoples of Southeast Alaska. Southeast Alaska has three tribes: Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian. There are few Inupiaqs (i.e. Eskimo) The museum exhibit that I visited in Juneau is mainly from the three local tribes.

These native people that I was referring to are not Eskimos. They prefer to be referred to by the common handle, Mexicans - pronounced “MESS-kins.” I apologize to my native brothers for my silly mistake and look forward to visiting their beautiful homeland again in the future. !Hola!

As for now, I am home, the boy is home, the all-star game is over, and I have to get some sleep.

No comments: