It's all a matter of perspective.

Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Interview with Myself


For RHET 3316


1. In your family or among your friends, whom do you consider to be the most influential person in your life? Why?

The person who has had the most profound effect on my outlook would have to be the boy, Wylie Allman Greer. He has taught me more about patience, respect, and how to deal with other people than anything else I have done. He has shown me a picture of God’s love for us. He amazes me with his capacity for learning and his natural sense of compassion.

2. What is the best advice that you ever received? How did it change your life?

I read in one of my wife’s magazines last week, “If you can’t fix it, forget it.” I thought this to be something I could really use, but I have not put it in to practice enough yet for it to make any difference. The problem that I am going to have is that I will stress myself out trying to prove that there is some way I can fix it.

3. What type of music, movies, or other entertainment do you like best? Who are your favorite performers and why?

I tend to prefer performances where the artists are allowed room to improvise and/or the piece is captured live. This is true for all of the performing arts. I like Jazz, Bluegrass, and Improvisational rock (My son’s middle name is Allman). My favorite movie makers are The Cohen Brothers and David Mammet.

4. If you could have dinner with any three persons, living or dead, who would they be? Why would these be your choices?

It would be impossible to pick just three and it is a lot more fun to make up several dinner parties of people whose conversations you would like to eavesdrop on. I would cook the food and keep the wineglasses full and stand in a corner and listen.
Calvin Coolidge, C.S. Lewis, and William F. Buckley.
Condoleezza Rice, Germaine Greer, and Sojourner Truth.
P.J. O’Rourke, Christopher Buckley, and Dennis Miller.
John Calvin, Billy Graham, and the Apostle Paul.

5. Realistically, what do you think that you’ll be doing – or what would you like to be doing – ten years from now?

I see myself freelance writing for webzines and periodicals from an office in my house. Perhaps I could publish a book here and there. My sweet wife will be running a successful decorating business from an office in our house. I would like another kid or two running around trying to distract us from working. In a dream world I would also have a recording studio in my back yard where I could hang out with my buddy Dan in the evenings and a shack on a river somewhere where my family could spend the weekends.

6. What is the one thing that you would like to change about yourself? Why?

I wish I could go back and talk to myself when I was about fifteen. First I would convince myself to get a GED and go to college as soon as possible. Then I would tell myself what I want to major in and what I enjoy doing in life, because this took me ten years of floundering to figure out. Basically I would cut out all of the wasted time and ensure that I would not find myself with a family and a mortgage, locked into a job that ruins my day and having to both go to school and work full time. Do I have any regrets? Damn right.

No comments: